In the wake of the Parkland shooting, Florida raised the age limit to buy guns from 18 to 21. Many people, including the survivors of the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High shooting, have called for the federal government to follow the Republican state’s lead. Rep. Steve King (Racist Asshole-Iowa) is not one of those people. In a bizarre tweet on Monday, the Republican congressman compared voting to owning firearms:
If you are a teenager & believe you won’t be responsible enough to own a gun until 21, why should you vote before 21?
— Steve King (@SteveKingIA) March 27, 2018
Since King doesn’t know how to think real good, we will explain to him why guns and voting are different:
- Teenagers cannot take their voting ID cards into a school and kill 17 students and teachers.
- Teenagers cannot play with their voting ID card, fling it at someone’s head and kill them.
- Teenagers cannot kill themselves with their voter ID card.
- Voting doesn’t kill people (directly).
- Voting doesn’t maim people.
- Voting doesn’t make suicide easier.
Steve King’s brilliantly moronic tweet came just one day after his campaign attacked Parkland survivor Emma Gonzalez on Facebook and a staff member got into a fight with Pulse massacre survivor Brandon Wolf. Apparently, he didn’t think the backlash for those attacks was sufficient, so he carried his dumb over to Twitter and launched some fresh attacks there.
Twitter users, stunned by the ignorance spewing forth from a United States’ congressman, were quick to let him know exactly how they feel about him:
If you’re Steve King and are bought and paid for by the NRA why should anyone listen to you?
— NotLaura72 (@LJoHig72) March 27, 2018
because we’re responsible enough to know you should be voted out AND reasonable enough to know that commons sense gun reform saves lives.
— Joseph Tolsma (@JosephStanten) March 27, 2018
To be fair, you’re way past 21 and I’m not so sure you should be able to vote…
— Trois Gymnopedies (@troisgymnopedie) March 27, 2018
No matter where a person stands on issues, this racist, confederate flag-waving, draft dodger should not have the privilege to be a USA Rep.
— Bruce Dall (@BruceDall131) March 27, 2018
So….78% of Americans don’t own guns….from the 22% that do own them, 97% are for gun control. The remaining 3% owns 50% of all guns…so whom exactly do you represent @SteveKingIA ?
I know. Too many numbers. Sorry
— Minister Of Loneliness (@PM_OfLoneliness) March 27, 2018
Good question. I have one:
If you are a member of Congress willing to send Americans into a war zone & you yourself aren’t willing to LEAD troops INTO the fight, why should you be allowed vote on such decisions?
It’s a little different when it’s YOUR life on the line, isn’t it?
— ♠️ (@JOONDADDYdotCOM) March 27, 2018
Steve King is up for reelection in 2018. Donate to his opponent’s campaign when the primary is over. Ask your friends in Iowa to get involved. Help save America, get this guy out of office.