This past Sunday, Myneisha Johnson was shot and killed because some jackass with an assault rifle shot into a crowd. Myneisha was just a few days away from graduating high school despite having been a teen mother with a 1-year-old son. To honor her life and tenacity as a student, Principal Alisha Coleman-Kiner of Booker T. Washington High School in Memphis, TN. planned on allowing her baby to accept her well-earned diploma on her behalf.
But this enraged, Kelly Griffin, apparently a random idiot, who sent the following word-salad to Coleman-Kiner:
The death of any young person is tragic.
But to allow someone else to walk across the stage to accept her diploma is one thing but then give it to her young infant is another. What are you thinking? The attitude and culture of the inner city youth need to change and doing this it won’t; you’re acknowledging and celebrating this young child whose mother was tragically killed when in all fairness probably should have been home taking care of that young infant who now has no mother and quite frankly don’t know who the father is.”
food for thought
Principal Coleman-Kiner proceeded to post the email on Facebook and then absolutely eviscerated Griffin’s ill-advised rant:
Open letter to the lady who judged my baby….
Thank you so much for your unsolicited ‘food’ for thought. After regurgitating the washback you just emailed (as it was definitely not ‘food’), I offer the following appetizer, entrée, and dessert for you to consider:
1. Never email a high school Principal, who is also an English teacher, without checking the grammar and spelling in said email. In case no one ever told you, these errors sincerely diminish your validity.#2Timothy2:15 #Study
Sometimes, public shaming is just what the principal ordered. Since the principal’s post is going viral, we can only hope that people who know Griffin will explain to her how sick she is.
Coleman-Kiner goes on:
2. Never send a formal email of rebuke without first “fact checking’ your claims. That’s something else your English teacher should have taught you. For example, who told you that no one knew who the father is? Where were you when he couldn’t stand under the grief on Sunday at the candlelight vigil? How surprised would you be to learn that both the paternal and maternal grandparents have been actively involved in this child’s life since he arrived?#Proverbs6:16-19 #Abominable
When you assume, you make an ass out of you and, well, just you in this case, Griffin.
But, wait! There’s more!
3. Stereotyping, as a persuasive device, is an ineffective use of propaganda that allows the person using the device to draw lines around groups of ‘good’ and ‘bad’ people. When you talk about people from the 3rd person point-of-view (‘the attitude and culture of the inner city youth needs…”), you turn those people into objects, which can then strip them of human rights. Side note: I had my first college degree and had been married for some years before I had my daughter, and, even I went out every now and then – without my child. How is it that you know that my student was an irresponsible parent, again?#Deuteronomy10:18 #GodDefends
Then the principal gets biblical on Griffin’s ass:
4. Just in case you didn’t know, having a baby is NOT the sin. Pre-marital sex, if we’re counting, is the actual sin. God loves babies. In fact, whenever there is a problem in the world, HE sends a baby with the answer (i.e. Jesus). Because my student was such a great person, maybe God decided to use her as a conduit between her son and the world to provide an answer. That would help make sense (especially for me) of all of this foolishness. Side note: Pre-marital sex may not be YOUR sin, but it only takes one sin to send you to hell, and God never said that sin was only pre-marital sex, and HE loves babies.#Jeremiah1:5 #Psalm8:2 #PurposeInPain
And she followed it up by explaining just how hard Myneisha worked to be not only an excellent student but a role model for her siblings:
5. You have NO idea how hard my student was working to overcome every single obstacle in her life. She worked a job every day, she kept her OWN baby (we had to ask her if we could keep him), she played on the basketball team, she did well in all of her Honor’s classes, she kept up with her younger siblings and made them come to school, and, most importantly, she NEVER missed one day of school. There are other issues that she had to deal with that I refuse to share, but just know that I know a whole slew of adults who would be in an insane asylum if they had to live with one tenth of her issues.#Matthew12:36,37 #EveryWord
Principal Coleman-Kiner then explains exactly why little Kylan will be on the stage. Frankly, this part alone would be enough to shame Griffin, assuming she has any shame to begin with.
6. This baby has only lived one year. He will NEVER know his mother. He will only have what we have shared, the videos that have been recorded, and what people have written to begin to understand the love she had for him. We WILL add this to his treasure chest of memories. #Matthew25:40#WeLoveKylan
And then she wraps it all up with a warning for Griffin to “Stay. In. Your. Lane.”
7. Because SEVEN is the number of completion, and symbolically the number of days my student had left to walk across the stage when her life was AGGRESSIVELY snatched away from her, my last point is: Stay. In. Your. Lane. This sweet baby meant too much to me for me to remain professional if I receive any more emails from judgmental folk who sit in the air looking “down” on folk they don’t deserve to sit next to. #Matthew7:1 #AlishaKiner#NotInTheMood
Personally, I think she showed incredible restraint. My response would have been laced with profanity and anatomically impossible suggestions.
Presumably, Griffin does not live near this “inner city” school with its poor “attitude and culture” but it’s pretty clear that whatever school SHE went to did a piss poor job of teaching her the English language.
Or how to be a decent human being.
Bravo, Principal Coleman-Kiner. I hope honoring the life and accomplishment of your student brings you and all of her loved ones some peace.
Featured image via Facebook
Copyright 2016 Daily News Bite